What is Technology?
Technology refers to the practical application of scientific knowledge for a purpose. It also includes the capability and skills required to apply the knowledge.
Technology enhances the usefulness of goods and services in a safe manner. It aims at creating value. Technology can be both material and non-material (virtual). Technology includes instruments, tools, machines, and other devices that benefit human life.
Technology may include simple items such as clothing, zip, housing, and complex items such as airplanes, robots, etc. Even the discovery of fire during stone age, and the process of producing light, heat, and cooking food are the examples of technology.
The non-material (virtual) tools and machines such as computer software, internet, etc. are also considered technology.
What are the advantages of Technology?
The advantages of technology are discussed below:
- Increased food output: We depend on food for our living. With the introduction of methods and techniques of cultivation, human-beings are able to increase food output. The modern irrigation technologies has helped to cultivate lands that were otherwise considered barren. The agriculture equipment such as tractor helps the farmer in his farming.
- Increased industrial output: As a result of introduction of technology in the process of producing goods, there has been tremendous increase in the industrial output. The automation of industries processes has resulted in processing tasks effectively and efficiently. Large industries make good use of engineering technology for large scale production of goods.
- Business growth: Technology has positively impacted business activities involving manufacturing, selling, marketing, distribution, recording, etc. Technology has touched almost every sphere of business activities. Businesses need to make wide variety of mathematical calculations for various purposes such as counting, estimation cost and profit, etc. Prior to the introduction of calculators, all these mathematical calculations were done manually. With the introduction of computers, large business data are effectively processed and stored in computers. The growth of eCommerce business is an excellent example of how Information Technology can benefit our life.
- Comfort: Technology had made human life comfortable. Everything that we see and use in our daily life is the gift of technology. The clothes we wear, the house we live, the car we travel, the bridge and flyovers, the mobile phone we carry, the fan, etc. are all examples of successful implementation of technology.
- Better utilization of resources: Modern tools and equipment has helped us to utilize the natural resources at optimum level. For example, the irrigation technologies has enabled us to make better utilization of water resource in the field of agriculture. Hydel power plants, thermal power plants, nuclear power plants, etc. uses natural resources to generate power.
- Ease in travelling: The invention of wheel is perhaps the most important technological discovery in human history. Automobiles, trains, etc. are powered by engine and run on wheels.
- Improved communication: Printing press, internet, telephone, email, and other communication technologies has helped us to communicate on global scale.
- Education: Virtual classes are a delivered at many schools. E-learning is a relatively new concept. Students make use of internet technology to download important study materials in the form of text, audio and videos.
- Healthcare: Technology has revolutionized the healthcare industry. The various diagnostic tools such as x-ray machines, blood pressure monitoring machine, glucose level measuring machine, etc. has made possible accurate diagnosis of health related problems. Accurate diagnosis of disease results in faster and effective treatment of the patient.
- Emerging technologies: Emerging technologies such as Information Technology, bio-technology, artificial intelligence, etc. are among the most important technologies of modern times. The introduction of computers, internet, smartphones, etc. have deep impact on common people. Much research are being conducted in the field of artificial intelligence intelligence.
What are the disadvantages of Technology?
The disadvantages of Technology are discussed below:
- Pollution: Too much use of technology has resulted in an increase in waste products into the environment. This has caused pollution. The discharge of industrial wastes into the environment diminishes the quality of soil, water, air , etc. The vehicle emission is among major causes of air pollution. Excessive use of pesticides in farming has caused soil erosion.
- Faster depletion of natural resource reserves: Modern equipment are very powerful. They can quickly extract huge quantity of natural resources. However, the total reserves of natural resources are depleting as a result of quicker extraction of natural resources.
- Production of unwanted products: Technology has also opened doors for the production and demand of unwanted products or unnecessary products.
- Wastage of time in non-productive activities: Some people waste immense time and energy in doing non-productive activities. For example, internet technology has enabled people to browse the internet for information. However, some people get addicted to internet activities such as browsing, gaming, etc., and waste time and energy.
- Excessive dependency: We are dependent on technology for all of our task. People are excessively dependent of modern gifts of technologies such as cars, computers, smartphones, etc. They feel helpless if any of these technological equipment, machinery or tool fail to perform. We have adopted technology in our life to an extent that it is impossible to think of performing our day-to-day tasks without the help of technology.
Technology has, beyond doubt, eased the life of human-beings. It has proved to b a great boon in the development process of culture and society. However, too much of anything is bad. Technology should be used with due care and caution only for the purposed that are of benefit for humanity.
Also read: Paragraph on Advantages and Disadvantages of Science
Category: Essays, Paragraphs and ArticlesTagged With: Science and Technology
The competitiveness of most companies is in a large degree based on the effective use of information technologies and information systems especially. The main purpose of information systems are provide the right information to the right people at the right time. It is used to track, store, manipulate and distribute the information from gathered data to appropriate persons when necessary.
In this post I thought to think about what advantages and disadvantages can bring to the businesses and society the integrating information systems. Of course, without any doubt the efficient usage of information systems will give a lot opportunities to the companies and advantages to their business. Sometime it can make kind of new job environments but on the other hand it can make some group of employees unemployed.
Communication – with help of information technologies the instant messaging, emails, voice and video calls becomes quicker, cheaper and much efficient.
Globalization and cultural gap – by implementing information systems we can bring down the linguistic, geographical and some cultural boundaries. Sharing the information, knowledge, communication and relationships between different countries, languages and cultures becomes much easier.
Availability – information systems has made it possible for businesses to be open 24×7 all over the globe. This means that a business can be open anytime anywhere, making purchases from different countries easier and more convenient. It also means that you can have your goods delivered right to your doorstep with having to move a single muscle.
Creation of new types of jobs – one of the best advantages of information systems is the creation of new and interesting jobs. Computer programmers, Systems analyzers, Hardware and Software developers and Web designers are just some of the many new employment opportunities created with the help of IT.
Cost effectiveness and productivity – the IS application promotes more efficient operation of the company and also improves the supply of information to decision-makers; applying such systems can also play an important role in helping companies to put greater emphasis on information technology in order to gain a competitive advantage. IS has a positive impact on productivity, however there are some frustrations can be faced by systems users which are directly linked to lack of training and poor systems performance because of system spread.
Unemployment and lack of job security – implementing the information systems can save a great deal of time during the completion of tasks and some labor mechanic works. Most paperwork’s can be processed immediately, financial transactions are automatically calculated, etc. As technology improves, tasks that were formerly performed by human employees are now carried out by computer systems. For example, automated telephone answering systems have replaced live receptionists in many organizations or online and personal assistants can be good example also. Industry experts believe that the internet has made job security a big issue as since technology keeps on changing with each day. This means that one has to be in a constant learning mode, if he or she wishes for their job to be secure.
Dominant culture – while information technology may have made the world a global village, it has also contributed to one culture dominating another weaker one. For example it is now argued that US influences how most young teenagers all over the world now act, dress and behave. Languages too have become overshadowed, with English becoming the primary mode of communication for business and everything else.
Security issues – thieves and hackers get access to identities and corporate saboteurs target sensitive company data. Such data can include vendor information, bank records, intellectual property and personal data on company management. The hackers distribute the information over the Internet, sell it to rival companies or use it to damage the company’s image. For example, several retail chains were targeted recently by hackers who stole customer information from their information systems and distributed Social Security numbers and credit card data over the Internet.
Implementation expenses – to integrate the information system it require pretty good amount of cost in a case of software, hardware and people. Software, hardware and some other services should be rented, bought and supported. Employees need to be trained with unfamiliar information technology and software.
Information systems contribute to the efficient running of organizations. Information systems are showing the exponential growth in each decades. Today’s information technology has tremendously improved quality of life. Modern medicine has benefited the most with better information system using the latest information technology. By understanding and learning what advantages and disadvantages it can bring, we have to try, believe and put an effort with our best to make that existing advantage much better and navigate the disadvantages to have a less impact on organizations and society.
Filed Under: Sistemas de Información Empresarial